Classic creamy Potatoes!
- 5 medium Russet potatoes , peeled, or skin on
1/4 cup butter , room temperature
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon paste , paste, or dry
1/2 - 3/4 cups evaporated milk , warmed (or use cream or half and half)
1/4 cup sour cream
salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- Cut potatoes in half and place in a large pot with about 4 inches of water (they don't need to be completely covered). Cover pot with a lid, and cook, covered, until fork tender, about 15-20 minutes. You don't want them ""mushy"" or falling apart.
- Drain water completely from pot and leave potatoes in the pot, covered with a lid, for about 10 minutes. This gives them time to dry out, which helps them to be extra fluffy.
- Remove lid and add butter, chicken bouillon, evaporated milk, sour cream and salt and pepper.
- Mash with a potato masher. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed, or more milk, until they are creamy, fluffy and smooth.
- I use an electric mixer to beat them on medium speed for about 30 seconds, until light and fluffy. But, be careful not to over-mix them or they will get starchy and gummy.